Praying for Revival
Preparing for Revival: A Church Conversation
Ima Sure : Ben, is there a sure-fire way to have revival in our church?
Ben Believer: Well, Ima, we can invite an evangelist to come and preach to us.
Ima Sure: We’ve done that – Bro. Sam Moore. What else?
Ben Believer: We can schedule certain dates where we will have special meetings focused on revival.
Ima Sure : We’ve done that too – Oct. 4-7. Is that enough?
Ben Believer: Well, we can advertise it and promote it. Maybe have special outreach and visitation programs.
Ima Sure : Okay. Sounds good. Anything else?
Ben Believer: We can do special promotions like Friend Day or Pack a Pew night or Youth night.
Ima Sure : Great. Those should be a help. Is that it?
Ben Believer: Well, there is one little thing that we haven’t talked about yet.
Ima Sure : What is that?
Ben Believer: Well, you see, it’s just one of those things that the Bible talks about if we really want to have revival.
Ima Sure : Okay, what is it?
Ben Believer: Well, you see it’s-
Ima Sure : For crying out loud! Enough already! Spit it out!
Ben Believer: Okay (takes a deep breath), it’s prayer.
Ima Sure : Prayer? Did you say prayer?
Ben Believer: Well, yes, I mean that is what the Bible says in 2 Chronicles 7:14.
Ima Sure : Oh, sure, I mean I know what the Bible says. Don’t think I don’t know what the Bible says. I’m sure of that. It’s just that prayer seems, well, it just seems a little dated. Out of fashion. Irrelevant. Borrrrring.
Ben Believer: Ima, Maybe it isn’t so much irrelevant as untried.
Ima Sure : Hmm. Okay, Ben, I’ll have to think about this. Maybe if we hired clowns…
There are a lot of ideas about how we can have revival. But God has given us all we need to know:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14, AV)
Sure we can be all clever and come up with a lot of ideas to help God out but ultimately all we need is God’s power and it only comes through prayer. Will you join me in praying for revival? Now, don’t get me wrong. We will promote the meetings and invite people. We’ll have some special services and focus on kids or youth or grandmas. That’s all good and well. But none of it means a thing without prayer. So how can we pray? Here are some ideas.
- Cottage prayer Meetings – We will have one each week and more as we grow closer. If you would like to host one in your home, please let me know.
- Prayer Partners – I am going to ask you to find a prayer partner and begin to meet together to pray regularly for revival.
- Prayer List – if you don’t already have a prayer list of those you are concerned about, start now!
- Wednesday Prayer Meetings – Please join us every Wednesday for prayer and Scripture.
- Day of Prayer and Fasting – We will announce a suggested date and we encourage you to join with others in desperation praying for our nation, our families, and our church.
- Prayer Chain – On Saturday, Oct. 3rd, beginning at 11 am we will ask people to sign up for 30 minutes of prayer. We will pray around the clock until Sunday morning at 11 am.
- Prayer before each revival service – join us each evening 30 minutes before the service time for prayer.
All we can do is give our all for Christ and His work! Will you join me?
Bro. Tim Hobbs
“Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.”
(Jeremiah 33:3, AV)